Exploration: Down the Hatch

Exploration: Down the Hatch
Location: 1921 Sophie Wright Place (LGD)











Another Friday night, another exploration. July in New Orleans is hot and sticky, even at night. And yet, with a little breeze, I love sitting outside with a drink. The insides of bars are all air conditioned, about at the same temperature of a freezer, and that is too cold for me. Therefore, a bar with a great patio is a must right now.

Down the Hatch is just down the street from my house, though I do not go there often. I haven't been on the patio in a few years! Caroline and I were among the few that were out there, and it's a large l-shaped space, with a bar in the elbow of the "L". This patio wins the award for Great Potential.

It's really a lovely space. Brick flooring, high fence to remove the sounds of the traffic, filled with palm trees and hanging plants. However, it has entirely too many tables, crammed together. Small round tables, large round tables and plastic picnic tables made the space feel way too chaotic for me. Additionally, some nice features, like a stone fountain, and some unique features like a giant chicken, are kind of hidden away.


Overall, it was a nice evening. I had an Anger Orchard and Caroline drank Paradise Park from local brewery, Urban South. The bartender was friendly and attentive. On these evenings, it is a convenient, comfortable spot to sit back with a drink and enjoy the evening air.



Comments

Popular Posts