Exploration: Latitude 29

Exploration: Latitude 29
Location: 321 N Peter's Street


I was introduced to Latitude 29 by my friend D who works there. She said it was a tiki bar in the French Quarter, a little upscale and very fun. On Friday, Giselle and I made our way downtown to check it out. I like walking into the French Quarter. With balconies spilling over with vines and cobblestone sidewalks, it's quite charming. On this particular Friday, it was even more busy than usual, as New Orleans was celebrating the French Quarter Fest, which is a four-day event to bridge the gap between Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest and give everyone something to do. It's actually really great with outdoor stages and live music. But with so many more people downtown, I picked a prime weekend to go there myself. 

Anyways, Gieselle and I went into Latitude 29 and realized there was a line just to be seated at the bar! Luckily, we did not have to wait long and were soon seated in a narrow bar with high stools and wooden paneling. Behind the bar was a map of tiki-inspired locations around the world, like Tahiti, Hawaii and Easter Island. Each destination was marked by a stone figure. It made me want to go searching for paradise.

But, in the mean time, Latitude 29 offered some amazing cocktails filled with tropical fruit and different liquors. I ordered a Deadbeat Daiquiri because it boasted about lychee and pineapple juices, and I was not disappointed. It came out frothy white, and was sweet and tangy.  Latitude 29 wins the award for prettiest and most fun cocktails. From my seat on the corner, I could see people topping the drinks with flowers, plastic figurines (my drink came with a monkey and purple flowers!). Many were in fun, colorful glasses. 

I give Latitude 29 a 3.5 for Best Cocktails, fun atmosphere and friendly staff (the owner was working along with the staff and yet also made time to talk to us personally). It was pricey, but, that's the Quarter for you.   
    

Comments

Popular Posts