Exploration: The Library

Exploration: The Library
Location: 3629 Prytania Street (Uptown)

I first read about The Library, a so-called new gastropub, on Yelp. I was looking for new and/or interesting places to go for Friday Exploration, and in a city of so many bars, it helps to have a niche to attract people.

The Library seemed like it could be interesting, though I was skeptical when I read the food menu. A "gastropub" is supposed to have "upscale bar food," but this seemed like, well, regular bar food. Fries and fried chicken. Their cocktail menu looked nice, though, and I enjoy creative cocktails, so on Friday night, we headed Uptown.

The bar is just past Louisiana Avenue on Prytania Street, near a few other bars and cafes. It is two stories, and when we first came into the bottom story, it was completely empty, so we headed upstairs. It was a little more lively, with a DJ and a few other patrons, so we sat down at the bar.

I ordered the Zietoun, a cocktail made with gin, lemon juice, agave and topped with a cucumber slice and fresh blueberries. It was sweet and sour, like a glass of lemonade, or a "dangerous cocktail," because it tastes like juice and not alcohol. The garnish was okay, though as Caroline pointed out, was a little lacking. There were only two of the "fresh blueberries".

For my second drink, I ordered the Empress. I don't remember all of the ingredients, but it was sweet and cinnamony, like a glass of sparkling apple cider. It reminded me of fall nights and pumpkin pie. Caroline had a few glasses of red wine.



The cocktails were my favorite part of the library. The atmosphere confused me. For a bar called the library, I would expect something classy. Leather sofas, hardwood floors, maybe a fireplace. Classical music could have been playing, or even a real pianist. Though there were a few nice sofas, and books on display behind the bar, nothing else resembled a library, especially not the DJ playing funk music or the large-screen TV. But, each to their own. Personally, it was not my favorite spot.


Comments

Popular Posts