Shelter-in-Place Edition I: My Porch Garden

The things that grow in New Orleans is as much a part of the city as bars and events, right? I spent the morning tidying it up and found some lovely surprises! Take a look:

Here's my strawberry plant. I bought it two years ago. The first year I got a few little juicy strawberries from it. It outgrew its container, so I transplanted it to this concrete one I bought at Urban Roots, a garden center not far from my house. I wasn't sure if it would winter over well and produce more strawberries, but it was still green and happy, so kept it watered and let it be. Last year, I got some pretty white flowers from it, but no strawberries. Then, a few days ago: three baby strawberries coming up! Maybe it needed to sleep for a year?




Here's my fern. This was the original plant bought for the concrete container which now houses said strawberry, but she quickly outgrew the pot and is a much, much larger one. I bought her when I taught in the middle school class at my school three and a half years ago. I was teaching botany, so of course we needed a plant to observe regularly. The kids loved spotting "baby ferns." You can see one here!




And here, we come to the rascal plant. It was rescued from a dumpster, so perhaps it looks for places to grow and survive wherever it can. It has rooted itself in the same pot as the fern! I hope they can coexist, or I will have to transplant one of them. The first picture below shows the root in the pot, the second shows the whole plant.  




Enjoy, friends, and get outside when you can. Nature heals the soul and reminds us that new life will always find away. Stay well, friends.

Comments

Popular Posts