Exploration: St. Joe's


Exploration: St. Joe's 
5535 Magazine Street (Uptown)

This week our Friday adventure took Gieselle and me uptown, to a bar called St Joe’s. I had read about it on a list of beautiful places in New Orleans on account of Chinese lanterns strung from the ceiling. It sounded delightful to me. 

(Tip: St. Joe's is east to get to. Magazine Bus stops right in front of it.)

When we walked in, I was confused. Instead of pretty hanging Chinese lanterns, Christmas garlands and lights were strung from the mantle, with Mardi Gras throws hung from them, like ornaments. Other than the lights, it was dark and narrow, with a pool table in the back. It was also very crowded, though we were able to get a seat at the bar after a few minutes.

I ordered the cocktail of the week, a (strong), pretty, creamy drink mixed with a few different alcohols. Gieselle had a Pino Noir. While we were waiting for the drinks, she noticed a sign to the courtyard and popped out. “It’s pretty!” Gieselle said to me when she came back a second later, so I paid for that round and went out, too. And finally found the Chinese lanterns.

It wasn’t quite courtyard weather, but we said we would go back another time to sit under the lights in the evening air. If it was not for the courtyard with Chinese lanterns, I’m not sure I would go back. It was pricey for a dive bar and a little out of the way. I give it 2.5 stars, with the potential to earn more if the courtyard is as nice as it seems.

Look for updates about the courtyard with the fabled Chinese lanterns!

Comments

Popular Posts