Exploration: Manolito

Exploration: Manolito
Location: 508 Dumaine Street (French Quarter)



Exploration: Manolito

Location: 508 Dumaine Street (French Quarter)

My friend A had heard about a new, Cuban-inspired bar and restaurant which opened recently in the French Quarter called Manolito, which is apparently named after a Cuban bar tender who passed away recently. Gieselle and I checked it out for our Friday Exploration. It was so new that it wasn't even in Uber yet, but I had the address. When the driver dropped us off, I wasn't sure at first if I had the correct address. The storefront had open doors, allowing me to peek into a space that was maybe ten feet and twelve feet long. Stairs led up to a balcony.

"Is this the right place?" Gieselle asked. I doubled checked the address--yes it was right, and then saw a tiny door sign announcing "Manolito." So we went in and were seated upstairs. The walls were adorned with black and white photos of Cuban cultural icons. The air was scented with chili peppers.

I tried two different cocktails. The first had pineapple and lime juice, and the second was a daiquiri topped with cacao and expresso bean pieces. Though it was a mild night in New Orleans, the two tropical drinks brought in more of the Cuban vibe. Gieselle had a red wine. Later in the night, I also ordered a coconut flan, which was every bit as light as you would hope a flan would be.

The prices were decent for the French Quarter and I enjoyed the drinks and dessert. I give Manolito 3.5. I can't wait to come back on a night that feels more tropical outside, but surely they are just around the corner!




Comments

Popular Posts